Our meal at Chullpi is part of the memorable day of our trip to Machu Picchu. We were relieved they were able to seat us outside as they were quite busy for lunch and initially, we were turned away (if you can, make a reservation).
From our table, we had a good view of the setting in Aguas Calientes, the natural beauty and the day-to-day. While some may complain that the outdoor patio is by the train, we didn’t mind and found it enchanting. We had a leisurely lunch on the patio, enjoying our food and the numerous Peruvian craft beers on offer. While some would say the restaurant is overpriced, I would argue and say that due to the remoteness of Aguas Calientes, the quality and inventiveness of the food, and the setting, it’s a bargain. Plus, set among so many tourist traps, it was nice to escape the “tourist traps”. It was also great introduction to Peruvian food that set the standard for the rest of the meals we had on the trip.
Our server, Neil was enthusiastic, attentive, and an ambassador to Peruvian food and craft beer, as offered by the restaurant. We started with the trout in leche de tigre with the fried local seaweed and it was fantastic. As per Neil, you eat ceviche with a spoon, not a fork, which is a tip that enhanced our enjoyment of ceviche the rest of the trip. next, we shared the lomo saltado and the aji gallina (chicken stew) and both were delicious and well presented. It was a good amount of food for 2 people and since we shared a few beers, we did not have dessert.
Overall, we were very impressed with the quality and price of the food in such a touristy setting. Thank you to Neil and the Chullpi team for the memorable meal! Salud y buen provecho!
- Quality: 5 – Excellent: Everything tasted fresh and was well presented.
- Quantity: 5 – Excellent: Portions were generous but not overwhelming, which you can appreciate for a more upscale place.
- Service: 5 – Excellent: Neil was fantastic, probably one of the best servers we have ever encountered.
- Atmosphere/Location: 5 – Very Good: Clean, comfortable and captures the ambiance of the town and setting.
- Overall Score: We would visit again 20/20
When we visited: April 2017
More information: https://www.facebook.com/ChullpiMachupicchu/
- Parrilla in Buenos Aires: Get Your Meat On
- Review: Park Hyatt Palacio Duhau
- A Sunday Morning in San Telmo: Defensa Street Market/Feria de San Pedro Telmo
- Itinerary: Wine Tasting in Santiago Chile