Buntzen Lake in Anmore is about a 40 minute drive from Vancouver and a great place to go for a hike and swim on a hot summer day. The 10 km trail that goes around the lake is shaded and suitable for anyone looking for a moderate hike. The lake is also popular for kayaking, stand-up paddle boarding and swimming. There is a pet beach and are dogs are allowed on the trail.
Effective June 27, 2022, you need to make a reservation to get access to the park.
You can make a reservation one day in advance. There are 3 types of passes available:
- AM: A Morning parking pass is valid between 8 a.m. and 2 p.m. Morning pass holders must depart before 2 p.m. to ensure space is available for Afternoon pass holders
- PM: An Afternoon parking pass is valid from 2 p.m. until park close. Afternoon pass holders must arrive at least 30 minutes before the end of the parking pass period.
- ALL DAY: An All-day parking pass is valid for arrival any time of day, from 8 a.m. to park close.
You need to arrive at least 30 mins before the end of your timeslot to gain access to the park.
The park doesn’t have cell phone coverage and so it is advisable to print your pass or save a screenshot but the website advises it is better to print it. You also need to make sure the licence plate you entered matches the vehicle gaining entry to the park.
It will be interesting to see how this pilot project works out over the summer and if it does minimize traffic in the area for residents and helps people to access the park. We have noticed that you need to arrive by 11:00 or else the gates are closed in the past and always arrived for opening at 08:00 ourselves.
Do you like the concept of a booking system?
- Tips: A Long Weekend in Vancouver
- Planning: 10 Tips for Visiting Vancouver
- Tips: A Long Weekend in Tofino
- Pros and Cons: Tofino vs. Ucluelet
- Road Trip to Ucluelet: Not Quite a Tropical Paradise
- Tips: A Long Weekend in Penticton
- Destination Guide: Okanagan Valley and Similkameen Valley in British Columbia
- Stay: Tin Can Ranch in Gibsons